Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 08:39:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sort: write error: no space left on device

I was met with that message apparently from /etc/periodic/weekly this
morning. Actually, it looked like this:

Rebuilding locate database:
sort: write error: No space left on device
locate.mklocatedb: cannot build locate database

df shows:

Filesystem	1K-blocks	Used	Avail	Cap.	Mnted On

/dev/wd0a	31775		22575	6658	77%	/
/dev/wd0s1f	1813231		1311336	356837	79%	/usr
/dev/wd0s1e	27679		6664	18801	26%	/var
procfs		4		4	0	100%	/proc

Do you think that's really full enough to run out of space during
makewhatis? If so, is it bumping up against the end of /usr or /? I'm
guessing /usr.

I'm sort of hoping I am running out of space. I can show this message
to my girlfriend this morning, and I haven't gotten my Christmas
present yet. Hmmm ...

Thanks.

Greg