Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:47:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Roger Bate <R.Bate@student.umist.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   re: Apache 5.0 - release

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Roger Bate wrote:

> I've looked through your documentation and can't seem to find
> anything.  Does 5.0 Come with Apache and all other tools needed to
> set up a fully functioning web server?  I would have expected this
> to be true since that's what the majority seem to use it for.
>
> I've d/l the two .iso files from your ftp server, but I'm a little
> afraid of installing it without knowing all the tools are on the two
> disks. I have to kill my current version of Mandrake to make some
> disk space!.
>
> I would appreciate it if you could get back to me =)
>
> Roger Bate
> r.bate@student.umist.ac.uk

If you have a cable connection (something I suspect as you're going to
run a web server) every tool needed is in the FreeBSD system itself.

Just install FreeBSD, then...

# cd /usr/ports/www/your favourite apache distribution
# make
# make install

This retrieves the sources and dependencies, compiles it and installs
the web server.

Take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html for even more
easily installed applications/servers.

If you on the other hand do not have a cable connection I'm not sure
of what's on those CD's. :-)

Best regards,
Paul