Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:23:31 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Jack Baty <jbaty@fusionary.com>
Cc:        Andy Myers <andy@frozentundra.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running jabberd

Jack Baty wrote:

> Andy Myers wrote:
> > Here's my problem:
> >
> > When starting the jabber server, jabberd, I get the following error:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libpth.so.14" not found
>
> I continue to have this problem also. My solution has been to do a "make
> reinstall" of the port after rebooting. This seems to Just Work. The server
> runs fine until the next reboot.
>
> I'd love to know if you find a permanent fix.

NAME
     ldconfig - configure the shared library cache

SYNOPSIS
     ldconfig [-aout | -elf] [-Rimrsv] [-f hints_file] [directory | file ...]

DESCRIPTION
     ldconfig is used to prepare a set of ``hints'' for use by the dynamic
     linker to facilitate quick lookup of shared libraries available in multiĦ
     ple directories.  It scans a set of built-in system directories and any
     directories specified on the command line (in the given order) looking
     for shared libraries and stores the results in a system file to forestall
     the overhead that would otherwise result from the directory search operaĦ
     tions the dynamic linker would have to perform to load the required
     shared libraries.
<cut>

Maybe this command will do it? Or maybe not?
man ldconfig

Best regards,
Paul