Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:32:53 -0400
From:      Rob Ellis <rob@web.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System configuration files under source control

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 01:22:26PM -0700, Carlos Carnero wrote:
> is there anyone maintaining system configuration files
> (like /etc/*) with a revision system? (CVS, RCS, etc.)
> Care to share experiences?

we're using rcs for some things, which works well -- the
advantage over cvs is that the locking is simple.

  ci -u rc.conf   # check in first time
  rcsdiff rc.conf # make sure no one's made unchecked-in changes
  co -l rc.conf   # check out, lock
  ci -u rc.conf   # check in again

note that 'ci' without '-u' removes the original file, which
is not good. :-)

- rob