Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 01:48:16 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stanb@awod.com
Subject:   Fwd: Persistant config data for ports?

Stan, you message is forwarded to ports@, where we can better assist you.

----- Forwarded message from stable-digest <owner-freebsd-stable-digest@FreeBSD.ORG> -----
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:21:22 -0500
From: stan <stanb@awod.com>
Subject: Persistant config data for ports?

I've started using cvsup, and portupgrade to update my installed ports on
several machines on a regular bassis.

This takes several hoyrs, or more, espically if I gotten a bit behind and
there are lots of ports to update. So I satrt this, and leave it running
unatended.

Unfortunately, I usuall come back to find the system waiting patiently fro
an answer from me, as to a configuration choice.

Given that those choices have already been mace (most of the time) it would
seem to me to be nice if there was some way for the system to have this
data stored in a persistentant fashion, so that I don't have to answer teh
same questiosn every time. In addition there are several ports that have
otional installation features that are turned on by port build time flags
passed to make. Yhes get built the default way, rahter than the way they
were before the upgrade. This also seems like a place where this persistant
data store would be useful.

----- End forwarded message

Well, first off, if you want everything built per defaults (like the
packages available for download), you can define two magic symbols for
make: BATCH and PACKAGE_BUILDING. I usually stick with just using BATCH,
as it will ensure that nothing wants my input.

You can:

1. Put "BATCH=yes" in /etc/make.conf.

2. Use the option "-m -DBATCH" to portupgrade.

You can also edit /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf, and set up special
make args for certain packages or classes of packages. Look for MAKE_ARGS
in the file for instructions.

--
Alan Eldridge
"Dave's not here, man."