Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:11:52 +0200
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware reads disk on non-sector boundary

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:04:04AM +0100, Ian Dowse wrote:
> See the patch I posted in:
>
> 	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+6285+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-emulation/20020908.freebsd-emulation
>
> There may still be further issues, but it allowed me to use vmware2
> on a current from a week or two ago.

That's only for virtual disks, and that is not where the problem is (was).
For most people this is not a solution.

I have an almost-ready patch that implements linux_read() syscall. This
will check if we are reading from a raw disk and in that case it will
enlarge the read() to the next sector boundary. I have it working in the
kernel but I have problems returning the right read buffer to userland.

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos                    RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/    New Projects Group/TTM