Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:28:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free FreeBSD CD-ROM donations to environmental/non-profit groups?

Kenneth Merry said:
 % 	I think the FreeBSD project should avoid political involvement of
 % any kind.  I think that we would lose more than we would gain by supporting
 % one political point of view over another.

John S. Dyson writes:
 > I definitely agree.  FreeBSD is currently made up of a very diverse group
 > of individuals with different social, economic, and political views.  Generally,
 > we all work well together, and lets avoid anything that would cause
 > factionalization.  Because of moral and ethical convictions, I am sure that
 > large groups of people would have to -quit- given certain causes being backed
 > by the organization.
 >
 > I agree that this is best being left lone.

While I don't disagree with you gentlement on this issue, it might be
easier for *FreeBSD, Inc.* or perhaps Walnut Creek CDROM to simply
develop a policy on donating to non-profit organizations.  This frees
any and all members of the FreeBSD project from decisions about what
sorts of organizations should and should not received support, which is
bound to upset somebody somewhere sometime, no matter what you do.

For instance, I personally will never again contribute a single cent to
any United Way drive, but have no concern whatsoever about the FreeBSD
Project donating FreeBSD CDs to the United Way as part of a plan to
support "all charitable non-profit organizations" or even "all
non-profit organizations."  Let the government worry about what is
"non-profit" and what is not.

Now, let me introduce you to the Salt Lake County Deputy Sherriff's
Mutual Aid Association...  ;^)