Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 2015 12:39:19 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <o_hartmann@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   net-mgmt/monitoring-pluginss: check_snmp always fails with: CRTICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call

Having port net-mgmt/icinga2 in addition with net-mgmt/monitoring-plugins
running and monitoring installed on most recent CURRENT and 10.1-p6 systems, I
face a nasty bug/error/misconfiguration I cannot fathom and I need some
help/ideas.

The service I configured is taken from the handbook (Icinga2) and looks like

apply   Service "snmp" {
        import  "generic-service"

        check_command   = "snmp"

        /* sysUpTimeInstance(0), see also http://www.oid-info.com/get/ */
        vars.snmp_oid   = "1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0"

        assign where host.vars.snmp_community != ""
}

and a specific host definition looks like

object Host "B4132-SW01" {
        import "generic-host"

        address = "192.168.178.238"

        groups += [ "switches" ]

	vars.snmp_community	= "public"

        vars.sla = "24x7"
}

The problem is that almost every command out of the port
net-mgmt/monitoring-plugins works as expected - but check_snmp not! It always
fails with

CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call

I checked the plugin /usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_snmp manually and fed it
with parameters and it returns correct values.

So, since even the examples from the handbook don't work, I consider a bug.

Has anyone any ideas?

I have rebuilt icinga2, net-snmp (on 10.1.-p6, on CURRENT it is broken) and
monitoring plugins.

Please CC me.

Thanks in advance,

O. Hartmann