Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:55:28 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        sschadt@openlinksw.com ("Stephen Schadt")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network / configuration problems

On 12 Nov 1999 20:26:26 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>I'm following your book "The Complete FreeBSD" and have successfully
>installed the system.  Now I'm trying to get a network connection.  I have
>configured the Networking ~ Interfaces screen according to my network
>environment via /stand/sysinstall.
>
>Typing "ifconfig xl0" returns the name of my card, etc, so I know the 3Com
>3c905 card we have is being seen on that device.

What are the contents of /etc/rc.conf, and what does dmesg.  I dont think
the 3c905 is PCMCIA though no ?

>Running the "make" failed with a driver not found related error.  Then I
>tried commenting out the first appearance of "device xl0", where there was
>just a # comment after those words - same error on "make".

try
config -r mykernel
cd ../../compile/mykernel
make depend
make

Did you do the make depend ?
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)