Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:39:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Servidor <medur@medur.es>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Programing in BSD

On Friday,  2 January 1998 at 16:57:58 +0100, Servidor wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm student of computer science, and I have a little problem. I'm working
> with freeBSD and I must to program  the UART. I have programed the UART in
> dos and linux, but I never do it in freeBSD.

Please don't send this kind  of question to FreeBSD-doc, a mailing
list concerned with improving the documentation of FreeBSD.  The
correct list is FreeBSD-questions.

> I don't know how i can access to a position of memory where a port of the
> UART is mapped, I would like to know wich libraries of freeBSD i must to
> use and wich instructions.

PCs normally don't memory map I/O devices, they address them via a
separate address space ("I/O space").  In UNIX (including Linux), the
UART is controlled by the system, so you don't "program the UART", you
write a driver.  You'll find the source in
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sio.c.

If you really *do* want to access the I/O registers from user space,
an action which is strongly deprecated, open /dev/io.  See io(4) for
(few) more details.

Greg