Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 1995 21:47:20 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@Shockwave.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, security@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: key exchange for rlogin/telnet services?

Yes, it's well known,  (take this with 3 grains of salt, I am not an
expert in D-H) but the base technology requires use of RSA which is
patented and said patents are enforced stringently.

That's why we use S/Key.

  From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
  Subject: key exchange for rlogin/telnet services?
  You know the problem.  You're sitting down at USENIX or your friend Bob's
  in Minnesota or some other gawdforsaken place and you have no way of knowing
  whether or not that password you just typed to log in to freefall was just
  sniffed by the entire undergraduate class of the local university (or their
  bored ISP).  You can't set up a kerberos realm with everyone, so what you'd
  really just like to do is ensure that the endpoints are reasonably secure
  and encrypt everything going in between.  A friend recerntly suggested a
  method for which my knowledge of the spelling may be incomplete, but
  I'll try: "Diffie-Hellman key exchange."  Apparently you start out with
  a key pair on each end and then each raise eacy to the power of the other's
  public half and used the information derived to secure the link.

  Do any of you security weenies out there know what I'm talking about?
  Am I making any sense?  Should I be locked up by the NSA for even suggesting
  this?

  					Jordan