Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:09:42 +0100
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Maxim Vetrov <muxas@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient fixed leases

Maxim Vetrov wrote:

> I can't configure dhclient to use fixed lease on a network with no dhcp
> server. I use my notebook to connect to several different networks. Some
> of them have dhcp servers, some do not. Just tired of manual config on
> the latter. I've done man dhclient.conf and found that I can cope with
> that. so there is my dhclient.conf:
>
> timeout 15;
> retry 180;
> reboot 5;
>
> lease {
>        interface "sis0";
>        fixed-address 10.0.1.4;
>        option routers 10.0.1.5;
>        option host-name "mobile";
>        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.248;
>        expire 5 2010/1/1 00:00:00;
>        renew 5 2010/1/1 0:0:0;
>        rebind 5 2010/1/1 0:0:0;
> }
>
> interface "sis0" {
>        send dhcp-lease-time 600;
>        send host-name "mobile";
>        request
> broadcast-address,routers,subnet-mask,domain-name,domain-name-servers,time-servers,netbios-name-servers;
>
> }
>
> When it boots these messages are displayed:
>    > Trying recorded lease 10.0.1.4
>    > bound: renewal in 125116757 seconds.
> and nothing happen.
>
> The peer's address on the othe side of cross-wired cable is 10.0.1.5
> netmask 255.255.255.248. When I
>  > ifconfig sis0 inet 10.0.1.4 netmask 255.255.255.248 up
> and ping connection is alive.
>
> What do I do wrong?

1st: Which version of FreeBSD do you use? There is significant
difference between 5.x and prior and 6.x and posterior.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago, see "Wireless NIC in FreeBSD
6.0", I suggested to try to include a "default" section in the interface
section, but the I never got an answer if this worked.

Regards, Erik