Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:59:34 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Josh Coombs <kurlon@gwi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netgraph node with inet and ethernet hooks?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Josh Coombs wrote:

> I'm trying to find a way to get PPPoE half-bridging functionality
> working with FreeBSD, similar to what Cisco routers and many older ISDN
> routers can/could do.  Basically, I'm trying to get the ip/subnet
> assigned to the ppp link usable on an ethernet interface.

I am going to assume the FreeBSD should be the NAS and not the CPE.

> So, on the radius side, you have (format is off, I know...)
>
> user dsluser, prefix=P
>     fixed-address = 10.0.0.1
>     fixed-netmask = 255.255.255.0

what I though that Cisco, etc. are actually doing is:

user dsluser, prefix=P
	fixed-address = 10.0.0.0
	fixed-netmask = 255.255.255.0

to take the first IP out of the subnet and assign it to the
remote end:

Cisco:
	int Lo1
		192.168.199.17
	int Vt1
		ip unnumbered Loopback1

so the link would look like:

	NAS:					CPE:
	Cisco <- 192.168.199.17 PtP 10.0.0.1 -> DSL router
                       ^             ^
                       \-------------/
                          IPCP handshake

And further the cisco adds a route like
	route add 10.0.0.0/24 10.0.0.1

But I still call that a HACK. Use a transfer IP for the customer
(static or out of a pool) for IPCP PtP link and route the /24 to
this IP then.

user dsluser, prefix=P
	Framed-IP-Address = "172.16.36.1",
	Framed-IP-Netmask = "255.255.255.255",
	Framed-Route = "10.0.0.0/24 172.16.36.1"

you need one single extra IP for that but it's a lot "cleaner" and
should always work w/o problems.