Date:      Sun, 03 May 1998 19:30:27 -0400
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
To:        Irving Popovetsky <irvingp@puck.nether.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote xdm problems

Irving:

I've read that it's not a good idea to start xdm in the /etc/ttys file.  I
start mine with a script in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.  There is a setting,
local_startup, in the /etc/rc.conf file that lists this directory as one of
the directory that the bootup scripts search in for local startup scripts.  I
don't know if moving the startup of xdm out of /etc/ttys will help you or
not, but I figured I'd add this tidbit.

Irving Popovetsky wrote:

> Howdy,
>
>         At home,  I have networked together my a 486 with 32 megs of ram
> running FreeBSD-stable, which doesnt do anything but run PPP and ipfw to
> my NT box.   I got the idea to set up my NT box with eXceed(from
> hummingbird communications), which is arguably the best commercial
> X-server package available for windows, to run an xdm query over to the
> FreeBSD box.
>
> well, everything works great and dandy.... except for one problem.  the
> xsession dies after about a minute or two .... usually without even an
> error message.   I have tried with different wm's, everything from fvwm to
> afterstep to kde ..... and I tried messing with the SYSV stuff  (SHM, etc)
> ....  but that makes it die even faster sometimes.
>
> at first I suspected the NT machine to be at fault (naturally :),  so I
> tried different X servers  (but only x-win40 from starnet communications
> did xdm queries) ... but I managed to replicate the problem, so I'm
> wondering if the FreeBSD box is doing something funny.
>
> note:  xdm is being started from /etc/ttys, like it is in the standard
> install:
> ttyv7   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks a million,
>
> --
>
> -Irving Popovetsky
>  ANS Communications - BigDial Operations Assistant
>  Pioneer High School - Webmaster    http://pioneer.citi.umich.edu
>
>  grok: /grok/, var. /grohk/ vt. [from the novel "Stranger in a Strange
> Land", by Robert A. Heinlein, where it is a Martian word meaning literally
> `to drink' and metaphorically `to be one with'] The emphatic form is `grok
> in fullness'. 1. To understand, usually in a global sense. Connotes
> intimate and exhaustive knowledge.

                                   Peter Schwenk
                               schwenk@voicenet.com
 FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD
                              Visit www.FreeBSD.ORG !