Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:26:59 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, Bob Van Valzah <Bob@whitebarn.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Formatting Help

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 07:05:42PM -0500, Jay Nelson wrote:
> >>    * What about the tex-3.14159 vs teTeX-0.9.981113 packages?
> >
> >You only need TeX if you want to produce Postscript or PDF output,
> >otherwise it's not necessary.
> >
> >You should only have one of these installed.  teTeX-beta is currently
> >recommended, as it installs all the optional TeX packages (like hyperref)
> >that are required by the Jade TeX macros.  tex-3.14159 will probably
> >work, but will need some configuring by hand.  I'm not a hardcore TeX
> >user, and can't advise on how you'd get tex-3.14159 to work for you.
>
> This is an interesting question. tex-3.14159 (along with it's friends)
> is the traditional TeX. I've been thinking about pulling teTeX out and
> replacing with this because the footprint is 75% smaller than teTeX.
> It would require pulling in some 25 separate pieces, though, to make
> it work for the Doc Proj. It would definately be the harder way of
> going. If there is any interest out there in making this approach
> work, I could pursue it further.

I'm interested.  Specifically, the JadeTeX port would then have a Makefile
option that determines which of the two it uses, so the end user can
choose for themselves -- they might already have one or the other
installed, for example.

> >>    * What does LaTeX have to do with any of this?
> >
> >It doesn't.  As I understand it;
>
> It does. JadeTeX is built on the base LaTeX format, along with a half
> dozen LaTeX add ons. You will need LaTeX2e and friends installed to
> build the JadeTeX format files. LaTeX and dvips are installed
> automatically with teTeX.

Ah, I didn't know that.  I thought JadeTeX used TeX from the ground up.
Thanks for the correction.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>