Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:34:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com>
To:        John McNamee <jpm@igcinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Save Apache logs into user home directories

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, John McNamee wrote:

> I want to set up daily log rotation with the output going into a file under a
> user home directory (e.g. /home/foobar/logs/1999-03-26.log).  I understand
> there are some security problems with this, but I'm not fully up to speed on
> the details.  I know that some of the large web hosting companies do their logs
> this way, so I assume there must be a secure way to handle it.  Can anybody
> point me in the right direction?

I can't think of any inherent security problems with the concept -- but you
may have some privacy issues if you implement this improperly.

As long as you make sure that only the log entries that pertain to a
particular user end up in that user's personal log file, and as long as the
log file that gets written to the user's directory is owned and readable only
by that user, you should be fine.