Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:01:54 -0500
From:      "Isaac (.ike) Levy" <ike@blackskyresearch.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how long to keep support for gcc on x86?
References:  <20130112233147.GK1410@funkthat.com> <20130113014242.GA61609@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> <CAJ-VmomrSFXcZg%2BKj6C2ARhpmjB9hxZATYJyRZB7-eRrcBLprg@mail.gmail.com> <20130113053725.GL1410@funkthat.com> <CAJ-VmomGKayr-1VucfwgodhXEHrXxx8r=9crHZJf74iVKZyTmQ@mail.gmail.com> <20130113202952.GO1410@funkthat.com> <CAGE5yCpB8dHLn0TaW=r0Ov39owOQVi=X5FFw%2BuQ=qZ9zYi5anA@mail.gmail.com> <20130113224800.GS1410@funkthat.com> <50F33B02.6040303@freebsd.org> <CAJ-Vmo=wz0Z5q27QDaxT7jskBoO9vG_BNwRNA6xizhmSmU-aEA@mail.gmail.com> <CAGE5yCoFgC02qYfgAmA6Apd7Q3CrOOGnPAVT-Jbk13iw_Cmw2Q@mail.gmail.com>

On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:58 PM, Peter Wemm wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>> ... ?
>>=20
>> As an embedded platform, I'd expect that people will want to support
>> any feature which dramatically boosts performance whilst reducing =
CPU.
>>=20
>> Also, if Intel decide to keep trying to push low power x86 for mobile
>> applications, rather than ARM, x86 may just make a resurgence in
>> places you once thought were servers.
>>=20
>> 32 bit x86 isn't legacy and won't be for a long time to come.
>=20
> Our buildworld environment and embedded $everything isn't well known
> for being embedded friendly. =20

IMHO, I believe the buildworld environment is quite friendly, but I =
don't have anything except FreeBSD and OpenBSD to compare it to,

> I'd wager that if somebody was trying to
> use an i386 kernel in an embedded device where every last thing
> counted, they'd be using an external toolchain targeted for their
> platform and some very selective cross-building. =20

I'll take your wager- I'm one of those guys, lots of embedded FreeBSD on =
tiny hardware- but I haven't been using any external toolchain or =
compiler.

Your wager may still be rational, your case is plausable, but since =
2004, I (and dozens of colleagues/friends/hackers) happily been =
compiling FreeBSD, using zero add-on tools. (I've used a lot of Soekris =
4801 and 5501, and ALIX alix2d3 embedded boards).  Typical Kernel and =
world take approximately 18+ hours to build on a 4801, depending on the =
kernel conf.

Beyond Soekris and PcEngines, there is a glut of relevant industrial =
single-board/embedded/funky hardware that is also 32 bit x86- some =
pretty amazing gear, at varying levels of cost.

The only port (external toolchain) I've installed on a build box was =
dtach and sudo, (neither of which are obviously considered build =
toolchain type utilities).  I actually *enjoy* naked FreeBSD on these =
platforms- no ports, no fluff, 500+ utilities in /bin and /usr/bin is =
plenty of software to me :)

FreeBSD kernel has had rock-solid support for these boards,
http://wiki.soekris.info/Installing_FreeBSD
Even the nanobsd build framework complements the soekris-specific =
kernel/world build support nicely.

> Compiler of
> $your_choice would be on the table if you were doing external
> compiling, and.. the default in-tree compiler does support AES-NI on
> both i386 and amd64, and the logical other choice (gcc-4.6+ and
> binutils) also does.

External compiling is indeed possible, however, I've found it much =
simpler for my purposes to simply build on the machine itself.  (At the =
end of the day, the apps I'm running have to *run* on the box, and if =
they're too fat to compile there, my experience is that should set rough =
expectations for how well the software will actually perform on the =
platforms)

> The only question is whether to go out of our way to support an
> archaic, non-default compiler on one platform.

I may be missing the point, I'm just a sysadmin who hacks in userland, =
but 32 bit x86 doesn't seem to be disappearing any time soon.

One more relevant use: Beyond the real possibility of more 32 bit x86 as =
ARM competition, with the glut of 32 bit x86 'server' hardware I touch =
in datacenters, much of it that crosses my hands will end up being "put =
out to pasture" on the perimeter as FreeBSD network appliances, where it =
can still shine rockin' PF/CARP/etc until the hardware completely dies.

And relevant: the PfSense installed base: lots of 32 bit x86 hardware =
(tons of SOHO routers on embedded boards, along with bigger kit in =
datacenters).

Best,
.ike