Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:00:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      freebsduser <freebsduser@earthlink.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        nathan@corp.wac.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Satellite Internet.

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, David Kelly wrote:

> nathan@corp.wac.com writes:
> > To whom it may concern,
> >
> > I have been looking into using Satellite Internet with FreeBSD for a while
> > now.
> > And I have come up with nothing! Anyone using Satellite Internet + FreeBSD
> > right
> > now?
> >
> > I'd like to know if it's even possible, and if FreeBSD is even built for it!
> > I have an
> > address to 2 different devices that are possible to use for the Satellite
> > Internet.
> >
> > 1) SkyMedia 200D internal card.
> > (http://www.telemann.com/products/SkyMedia200D.html)
> > 2) SATBOX external USB device
> > (http://www.harmonicdata.com/products/satbox.html)
> > this seems a little more promising since it's USB.
>
> Another possibility is http://www.starband.com/index.htm. But last I
> heard they were very Windows-specific. So much so that the only way in
> was to purchase a pre-configured eMachines system.
>
> Satellite IP has a bit of a problem with latency as even at the speed of
> light the satellite is a long ways out. StarBand is said to use a
> caching proxy for http at their earth station in order to ram the "hits"
> thru their link to you before your computer sends all the ACK's that
> would normally be expected before proceeding to the next step. This
> isn't as important in mass data movements as it is in the 10's and
> 100's of little data movements typical of web browsing.

If you subscribe to Starband through DishNetwork you'll get an external
USB satellite modem.  As you said they are VERY windows centric.  My
friend is getting Starband installed soon and hopefully I'll find out
if I can use FreeBSD instead of Windows.  If not it looks like I'll be
staying with the ol' 56K running at 21.5 (Yes, I live in the middle of
nowhere).  If I find out more I'll report it here.

Scott