Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 02:30:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom - help ...

--- Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > So, again, if I'm reading through things correctly, I'll have to do
> > something like:
> >
> > gstripe st1 da1 da2
> > gstripe st2 da3 da4
> > gmirror drive st1 st2
> > newfs drive
>
> That's the wrong way round, I think.  If you lose a drive, then you've
> the whole of one of your stripes and have no resilience.  Shouldn't you
> rather stripe the mirrors:
>
>    gmirror gm0 da1 da2
>    gmirror gm1 da3 da4
>    gstripe gs0 gm0 gm1
>    newfs gs0
>
> This way if you lose a drive then only one of your gmirrors loses
> resilience and the other half of your disk space is unaffected.

Yup!
In the case
  M(S(a,b),S(c,d))
the content
  on 'a' and 'c'
and
  on 'b' and 'd'
would be identical, so that the u had to do it handish and efficient or
automatically and inefficient in case of a disk failure.

I personally put the boot-stuff on a gmirror (no striping).
So u might want to use something like this:
  M(a1,c1) for /
  S(b1,d1) for /not-so-important
  S(M(a2,c2),M(b2,d2)) for /usr/home

By the way: A correct syntax would be
  gmirror label -b load gm0 da1s1a da3s1a
  gmirror label -b load gm1 da1s2d da3s2d
  gmirror label -b load gm2 da2s2d da4s2d
  gstripe label -s 65536 gs0 da2s1d da4s1d
  gstripe label -s 65536 gs1 mirror/gm1 mirror/gm2

Oh! And I am experimenting with my geom_raid5 implementation... But it is quite
slow in write to UFS (but non-concurrrent write to raw-device is quite fast
already). U can download it here (but it is quite difficult to integrate - many
files have to be changed handish):
  http://home.tiscali.de/cmdr_faako/geom_raid5.tbz
:-)

-A