Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:01:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Julian Zottl <julianz@vsl.cua.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two xl cards possible?

Julian Zottl wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hey all, I've been using a vx and a xl board in my firewall and went
> replace the vx with a xl card.  After rebooting, I could not ping outside
> on either card!  I reconfigured my rc.conf and rc.firewall to xl0 and xl1,
> but to no avail :/  Any help is much appriciated!
>
> Julian Zottl
> System Administrator, Vitreous State Laboratory
> (202)319-5522

Hi Julian,

Assuming both xl cards are properly probed in the kernel and both are
functioning (they show as "UP" in the output of ifconfig -a), you
shouldn't have any real problems with configuration.

You MAY have just missed something when changing configs.  If you setup
worked before, and both cards ARE indeed functioning, double check your
configs.  grep vx0 /etc/* might be a good strategy.  Check the output
dmesg to ensure that the cards are probed correctly as xl0 and xl1.
Check the MAC addresses against the outgoing connections to ensure that
you haven't got the cards mixed up.  (If you added another one, the new
card might become xl0, pushing the old one to xl1, depending on what BUS
order it was probed in).

If you are sharing a block of network addresses between the cards, special
care will be required to make sure the individual addresses are routed to
the correct machines.

You talk about being able to ping "outside" on either card.  Do you mean
to say that BOTH cards have routes to the outside?  What is your default
route?  Which networks do either cards access?  The output of netstat -rn
with ifconfig -a would be helpful here to show us how routing is set
up.

With two interfaces, you PROBABLY have one or more public IP addresses on
one of them (say, xl0), and any number of RFC 1918 (private) addresses,
from 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/16, or 192.168.0.0/16.  In doing so, you would
have to configure NAT on xl0 to redirect anything to/from your private
addresses (or maybe ports, depending on what you want), to one of your
public addresses.  I just posted a message in a different thread on this
list about configuring natd.

If this doesn't help, send us a more detailed description of your network
so we have a clear picture of what you need.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2