Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:32:06 -0000
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        chris@netmonger.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: was: some woes about rc.conf.site

I don't understand what rc.conf.site buys us, surely sysinstall is just an
admin tool for maintaining site specific options in exactly the same way
that vi /etc/rc.conf.local would be?

I think it's getting overly engineered and we're just chasing our tails. Why
can't there be a set of shipped defaults, set in /usr/share that is never
touched by local sites and by definition will always be up to date and then
have a single file /etc/rc.conf that provides local overrides. Whether you
maintain it with sysinstall or vi shouldn't really matter.

Paul.