Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:35:14 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDRecord not seeing CD-R

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:01:03 +0400, Alex Povolotsky wrote:

>to your kernel, enable POSIX realtime and NEVER try to run any disk-hog like
>tcl/tk while writing!

Um - I do it all the time.  My mailer of choice is exmh.  I've run exmh,
netscape, audio/video clips seti@home, all while burning CDs with no
difficulties.  (Mind you, I do have a dual-CPU SMP system.)

The trick is to run "cdrecord" as root so that it will set itself with
high "realtime" priorities for its processes, and use a temp disk file
for the CD image.  cdrecord seems to automatically try to set realtime
priorities, at least when built from the port.

I found piping mkisofs into cdrecord didn't work well for deep
hierarachies - mkisofs sometimes hit a place where it'd spend an
inordinate amout of time spinning and cdrecord's buffer would empty,
then bye-bye CD-R blank.  System activity or lack thereof made no
difference - it's something inside mkisofs.

	-- Parag Patel