Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:57:45 -0700
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        "Jorge Mario G. Mazo" <murcielako@yahoo.com>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good Operating systems book?

Jorge Mario G. Mazo wrote:
> Hi there
> I want to learn about operating system to later start
> contributing to FreeBSD
> I would like to hear what books are good for newbies
> like me!
> NOTE: my C skills are pretty decent
>
> At a local library thre is a copy of Modern Operating
> System by Andrew tanebaum, but it`s the old edtion
> (from 1989 I think) so I'm not sure if that would
> still be valid!!!
> thanks in advance

I have the 2nd edition of that book from 2001 for an OS class I took
spring quarter.  It seems to be an okay primer for beginners.  Some of
it is redundant for any of us who have actually bothered to install an
OS other than MS.  It does explain some of what an OS does and general
explanations of scheduling, memory management, security, etc.  As a tool
for understanding FreeBSD, it'll probably just get you familiar with the
terminology used.

Later,
Micah