Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:49:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Evan Leon <evan@officemail.starmedia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange error messages in Perl

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Evan Leon wrote:
> > I'm running 3.4-RELEASE, and I have been getting the following error
> > message every time Perl is called (a friend of mine has previously seen
> > the same error, but did not know what the cause was):
> >
> > bash-2.03$ perl -e 'print "hello!\n"'
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >         LC_ALL = (unset),
> >         LC_CTYPE = "en_US",
> >         LANG = (unset)
> >     are supported and installed on your system.
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
> > hello!
> > bash-2.03$
>
> We ran into this issue as well, and it was "fixed" by just putting a
> .login.locale file in your home dir. Mine looks like this:
>
> setenv LC_ALL   en_US.ISO_8859-1
> setenv LC_CTYPE en_US.ISO_8859-1
> setenv LANG en_US.ISO_8859-1
> setenv LESSCHARSET latin1

Thanks!  Actually, I "fixed" the problem myself a few hours ago as well.
:)

I was poking around in /usr/share/locale and saw that ASCII and US_ASCII
were links to what appeared to be Italian.  (strange!)  So I removed the
ASCII file (okay, I'll admit.  It was an accident) and Perl stopped
complaining.

Thanks again,
Evan Leon