Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:19:55 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        lex manno <lexmanno@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi? lynx? please!

lex manno wrote:

> hi there,
>
> Well, I've been using FBSD for almost a year now and I
> was wondering. Isn't it about time to remove primitive
> stuff like vi and lynx from the o.s.?
>
> I mean, when there are editors like Joe and Emacs and
> browsers like Netscape, why do we need to keep all
> these antiquated monsters?
>
> For God's sake, let us modernize!

If you have to administer a remote system via a 300 Bd phone line,
you'll be glad those "ancient" tools exist. I keep dropping into ed or
ex, if the line is too slow to redraw a terminal screen within 10
seconds, too.

If you want to modernize: fine. Add them new kinks. But keep that good,
ol', proven stuff. You'll need it sometime.

Just my $.05
-Christoph Sold