Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:36:37 -0600
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   run a command on startup

i have a box that my nic's eeprom got zapped last night.  WOL is a must for
me, and as a last ditch, i finally have the card talking again if i set a mac
address manually.  upon shutdown, apparently it remember the address i set,
and answers to a WOL packet.  also, it appears to immediately forget the mac
that was set when the computer starts, because when i get back to the login,
the ifconfig shows the mac to be 00:00:00:00:00:00 again, and i have
to 'ifconfig fxp0 ether [mad address]' after each boot.

where can i stick that command so its run during boot up, maybe preferable
before the network configuration is loaded?

strangely enough, even when the mac address is 00's, i can still ping around
my lan (i didnt think this was possible without a mac address)

thanks,
jonathan