Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:07:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Geoff Wyche <geoff@schoolpeople.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Setup

I recently had to do something similar.

I chose to run an internal named and an external named on the same CPU.

The external named runs on a non-standard port.
The firewall then redirects port 53 to the nameserver's nonstandard port.

Thus, internal hosts reach the internal server on port 53 and external
hosts see the external DNS on port 53.

Because I have separate static ip addresses for the server and firewall,
the firewall can accept packets for the nameserver's IP with an inet
alias, and hosts outside the firewall are none-the-wiser.

Hope this helps,
--Geoff
geoff@schoolpeople.net