Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:54:59 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dan@langille.org
Subject:   crontab entries need a CR/LF at the end

Here's what I did:

I edited ~/crontab and added an entry.  That new line did not end in a
CR/LF (i.e. I didn't hit ENTER at the end of the line).  Then I did a
crontab ~/crontab and watched /var/log/cron.  The job was never run.

I then modified the crontab to contain an ENTER at the end of that line,
and did another crontab ~/crontab.  Then the job run.

I've been bitten by this at least three times.  And I've seen other get it
too.  IMHO, it breaks POLA.  Anyone agree?  I can't see anything in the
man pages about this.  I must also be a simple fix.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples