Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 14:39:20 -0400
From:      MetcalJM@utrc.utc.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        metcalf@snet.net
Subject:   Initializing a modem

Hi,

I was wondering if FreeBSD has any utilities or if someone has written a
very
simple program to send AT strings to a modem on a sio? serial port.
Currently I am using ijjppp in term mode to write the strings and that
works fine.  Unfortunately, I would like to send the AT string to the
modem
non-interactively from a script.  I can use 'expect' to get the job done
with
ijjppp, but that seems to be a bit of a kludge.  In the past, I have
tried
writing directly to the raw device,

eg. echo "ATZ" > /dev/cuaa0

but that seems to put the modem in a funny state.  Also, since I can't
see
the return message (OK) with this method, I never knew if it really
worked.

Is there a standard FreeBSD utility to do what I'm looking to do?  If
not,
does anyone have any _simple_ C code I can hack to do this?

Many Regards,

JM