Date:      Fri, 23 May 2003 08:31:23 -0500
From:      Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        William Scully <bill@scully.biz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing the default log in shell

On Fri, 23 May 2003 21:04:33 +0900
William Scully <bill@scully.biz> wrote:

> When I installed 4.7, I chose bash as the default log in shell. I have come
> to prefer tcsh and would like to make that the default. What is the best
> way to go about that? Of course, I can switch shells on the fly, but I
> want to avoid that extra step of cahnging from bash to tcsh, and instead
> log straight into tcsh from the log- in prompt.

Bill,

You can use 'vipw' to edit the users account and change the
reference to the users shell at the end of the users entry.

Example:
Change from
myuser:xXxXxXxX:1002:1002::0:0:My User:/home/myuser:/bin/sh

myuser:xXxXxXxX:1002:1002::0:0:My User:/home/myuser:/bin/tcsh

After this change the next time you log in as "myuser" you
will have the shell "tcsh".

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam@hiltonbsd.com