Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:56:08 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf external buffer reference counters

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:42:25PM -0400, Bosko Milekic wrote:
> > and trimming away the refcount area might easily result in suboptimal
> > allocation of storage within the kernel.
>
>   Can you elaborate on the sub-optimal performance comment with,
>   perhaps, an example?  I'm sorry but I'm sometimes slow to understand

example: userland does an 8KB write, in the old case this requires
4 clusters, with the new one you end up using 4 clusters and stuff
the remaining 16 bytes in a regular mbuf, then depending on the
relative producer-consumer speed the next write will try to fill
the mbuf and attach a new cluster, and so on... and when TCP hits
these data-in-mbuf blocks will have to copy rather than reference
the data blocks...

Maybe it is irrelevant for performance, maybe it is not,
i am not sure.

>   The problem with this approach is that I'm probably going to be
>   allocating jumbo bufs from the same map, in which case you would have
>   huge `gaps' in your address <-> ref. count location map and, as a

how huge ? and do you really need to use the same map rather than
two different ones ?

	cheers
	luigi