Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:53:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Willow  <willow@tds.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   syslogd

Anyone know of good book or document that explains in easy to understand
terms how to configure syslogd?  (Besided the man page)

I would like to configure syslog to break out the various services running
on the FreeBSD box into seperate files.  (i.e. finger.log for finger,
ftp.log for ftp, etc.)  I have alot done but could use more info.  Here's
the current syslogd.conf file that I use:

----
*.emerg;authpriv.none				*
*.warning;authpriv.none				root
*.warning;auth.notice;authpriv.none;news.err	/dev/console
kern.*						/dev/console
authpriv.*                                    	/var/log/secure
cron.*						/var/log/cron
daemon.*					/var/log/daemon.log
ftp.*						/var/log/ftp.log
lpr.info					/var/log/lpd-errs
mail.*						/var/log/maillog
mail.crit					/dev/console
news.*						/var/log/news.notice
news.crit					/var/log/news.crit
news.err					/var/log/news.err
uucp.*						/var/log/uucp
auth.debug;kern.debug				root
auth.debug;kern.debug				/var/log/messages
*.notice;auth,authpriv,cron,daemon,ftp,kern,lpr,mail,news,uucp.none	/var/log/messages
!startslip
*.*						/var/log/slip.log
!ppp
*.*						/var/log/ppp.log