Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:40:47 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
Subject:   Re: 6.0-RC1: ral(4) driver broken?  network interruptions

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Yes I see the same thing with iwi, it looses connection now and then.
> Heavy traffic alone doesn't do it, but starting VNCviewer kills it
> every time. A killall -1 wpa_supplicant gets the connection back on
> track...
> Other end here is a Dlink DI624+ so the mix is totally different from
> yours...

Good - I'm not alone to see this.

I wonder what the common parts of our setups are, wpa_supplicant for
sure, "device wlan" is also used by both, relevant modules:

 4    1 0xc0b54000 6f04     wlan_ccmp.ko
 5    1 0xc0b5b000 40c4     wlan_tkip.ko
 6    1 0xc0b60000 1bac     wlan_xauth.ko
 7    1 0xc0b62000 c6d8     if_ral.ko

Otherwise, I have a fairly generic kernel, no fancy -O2 tricks or other
make.conf madness, just "CPUTYPE?= athlon-xp". I presume Søren is using
an Intel processor ;-) This is my kernel configuration, pretty
unexciting. I've forced ral to be a module so I can play with the
ndisulator, but it doesn't work nearly as well as ral(4).

include         GENERIC
ident           SIGMA
device          atapicam
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
nooptions       WITNESS
nooptions       INVARIANTS
options         HZ=250
options         EXT2FS
device          pf              # required
device          pflog           # optional
device          pfsync          # optional
nodevice        ral

--
Matthias Andree