Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:59:40 +0200
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
To:        jks@clickcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with the Exclude option of tar

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 05:55:13PM -0400, John Straiton wrote:
> tar is teasing me. here's my situation:
>=20
> I'd like to tar.gz all the /home directories on my machine every night, i=
nto
> separate files (for easy restoration), however there are of course some
> files that I don't want copied into the tar. Lets use the file quota.users
> for example. I would like to use the exclude-file option of tar but here's
> the problem
>=20
> tar czfX testfile.tar.gz excluded.files /home
>=20
> with excluded.files simply having the line "home/quota.user" in it works
> fine, but
> tar czfX testfile.tar.gz excluded.files /home/*
> does not. Nor does it work with an exclude file that says:
> home/quota.user
> quota.user
> *.user
> /home/quota.user
> ./quota.user
>=20
> Which is giving me grief because my script reads like:
> for i in `ls /home`
> do
> tar czfX /backup-directory-structure/$i.tar.gz excluded.files /home/$i
> done
>=20
> Now I know that I could simply tell the .sh script to exclude that file, =
but
> the proper way to do it would be with tar's exclude option since it scales
> better.
>=20
> Ideas?
> John Straiton - ClickCom, Inc.
> jks@clickcom.com - (704)365-9970x101
>=20
>=20
>=20
> end of the original message

This worked for me:

$ cat ~/tmp/excluded.files
quota.user
exclude2

$ ls -R ~/tmp/home/
user1 user2 user3 user4

/home/casimiro/tmp/home/user1:
include1   quota.user

/home/casimiro/tmp/home/user2:
include1   include2   quota.user

/home/casimiro/tmp/home/user3:
include1 include2

/home/casimiro/tmp/home/user4:
exclude2   include1   quota.user

$ for d in `ls ~/tmp/home/`
- do
-    tar czvfX /usr/tmp/${d}.tar.gz ~/tmp/excluded.files -C ~/tmp/home/ $d
- done
user1/
user1/include1
user2/
user2/include1
user2/include2
user3/
user3/include1
user3/include2
user4/
user4/include1

Tar excluded quota.user from user1, user2 and user4 and exclude2 from user4=
 as
requested.

Hope this helps.

	Francesco Casadei
--=20
You can download my public key from http://digilander.iol.it/fcasadei/
or retrieve it from a keyserver (pgpkeys.mit.edu, wwwkeys.pgp.net, ...)

Key fingerprint is: 1671 9A23 ACB4 520A E7EE  00B0 7EC3 375F 164E B17B

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu--