Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:38:12 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 5.1 Released!

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 02:20:22PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> I'm not a mirror operator (IANAMO? :-) and I just recently
> entered the playground by providing the ia64 release bits and
> snapshots, but I can truely say that I'm amazed by how
> unstructured this all is. So, in that respect I don't think
> you're wrong.

I've been watching for a while longer than you.  I could be wrong and
if I am I truly apologize to who this is likely to offend but...  I
don't think there is anyone other than the RE team that dabbles in
the structure of the mirror system, and they only do it when it's
close to release time.  For example ISC's offer of a very nice mirror
site went un-answered for a while and then incorporated in a flurry
of late night activity by un-named higher-ups in the FreeBSD organization.
So, I don't think anyone considers it their job to coordinate any of
this.

Again, apologies if I'm totally off the mark...

I sorta noticed the apparent lack of a coordinator and sorta offered
to help but haven't been told if they're interested.  They might have
other plans in the works and didn't need the help (or had someone else
in mind with better qualifications... :-).

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu