Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:43:06 -0600
From:      Aaron Parmelee <trout@net66.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   getting ppp going

hello out there:

 recently i have been trying to connect to my ISP using ppp. now, i know
nothing about ppp, so i looked around the web, which, to my untrained eye,
gave several different versions for the ppp.conf file.

so far, i have succeeded in getting the modem to dial, and thats about it.
i got it to do this by typing this:
ppp
term
at
atdt <number>

when the ISP answers the phone, a variety of noises are made, followed by a
steady annoying beep that ends after about 20 to 30 seconds or so. then,
nothing.

now, a number of those ppp.conf files look like they dial the phone number
for you, precluding the commands that i used above. ppp.conf also contains
entries for CHAP, which is what my ISP uses. this file is not being looked
at. how do i get ppp to look the ppp.conf file?

any help is appreciated
--aaron

"Disgruntled? Hell, they're all disgruntled. I ain't runnin no daisy farm.
My motto is do it my way or watch your butt."
-Nathan Arizona, Raising Arizona