Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:03:09 -0500
From:      mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
To:        Sean O'Neill <sean@seanoneill.info>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stupid but I don't know what this is - top-posting ???

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:42:35PM -0600, Sean O'Neill wrote:
> I recently responded to a reply to one of my questions accidentally to just
> the replier.  He ask me not to "top-post".  I saw another email just now
> with that same request of someone.

We're finally trying to do away with that here? Good!

> Please excuse my ignorance but what is top-posting ?

Top-posting is putting an entire reply to an e-mail at
the top of the message, rather than keeping replies with
their context, such as I'm doing here.

> I've read what I
> think is a currently guidelines for posting questions to freebsd-questions
> at http://www.lemis.com/questions.html but it doesn't explicitly say what
> top-posting is.
>
> I assume it has something to do with only replying to a specific individual
> and not including the freebsd-questions group ?

It includes all replies in e-mail and on Usenet. It's considered
bad manners and a sign of laziness among Internet veterans, as
it's unnatural to read replies in the manner top-posting
presents them in.

> Sean O'Neill

mike