Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:05:28 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   pccard mystery under 4.4-R

I've got my laptop to boot and install 4.4-R after following the
magic hw.pcic.xxx incantations in the release notes and have had
some success using a Compaq wireless network card while visiting
a distant town.  But recent attempts to get it to recognise a
Xircom PCMCIA NIC have been unsuccessful.  And now, whether the
card is in the machine or not, I see the following during boot:

    pccard: card inserted, slot 0
    pcic0: Static bug detected, ignoring hardware.

And all attempts to talk to the card fail dismally.  I have
built a kernel with every potential driver installed.  Am I
looking at a hardware problem or a software issue?

In case it's not obvious, all I know about laptops and PCMCIA
could be written several times over on the head of a pin.