Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:20:40 -0500
From:      Jason Stephenson <jjas@engr.uky.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with Floppies in 4-STABLE?

I cvsup'd my machine at home on Sunday and rebuilt the system and kernel
following the instructions in the handbook. Last night, when I tried to
use the floppy drive, it didn't work. The first couple times that I
tried it, I would get an "input/output error." Since the activity light
on the drive never blinked, I took the case off my machine and checked
that the cables were properly connected. They were.

Next, I tried remaking the fd0 devices with sh MAKEDEV. This time, when
I tried to access the drive, I got "device not configured." I also did a
"sh MAKEDEV all."

Here's how I have it configured in my kernel config:

# Floppy drives
device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
device          fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

and the kernel apparently sees it:

fdc0: <NEC 72065B or clone> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold

I've tried two floppies, one a msdos formatted disk and the other a tar
archive that I made on the machine in question on 12/30 with 4.4
Release. I get the same error from "tar tf /dev/rfd0" as I do from
"mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy". This is the first time I've tried
using the floppy drive since moving to 4.5-RC on this machine.

I have another machine at the office, the one I'm using now, that is
also running 4.5-RC, but it was last cvsup'd on Jan. 15th. The floppies
work on it, and it is configured more or less the same. Although, in
looking at the output from dmesg, I do notice a difference:

fdc0: <NEC 72065B or clone> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0

The machine that doesn't see the floppy drive doesn't print the fd0: line.

I'm wondering: has anything changed in the floppy code since Jan. 15th
or is my floppy drive dead?

--
Jason Stephenson - UNIX Administrator
Univ. of KY College of Engineering