Date:      17 Oct 2001 10:23:24 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System Backup To CD-R

> Any suggestions are appreciated!

(I'll assume that your "CD-R" means "CD-Read/Write".)

Last time I did it, I had enough separate partitions that, with
compression, the largest one fit on a CD.

If you've enough free disk space, I think you could put your compressed
archive on the hardisk and use "split" to make CD-sized chunks.  You
could even do it without any extra disk space, but you'd need a fast
system to feed the CD writer quickly enough and probably wouldn't be
able to compress it for the same reason.

I'm not certain about "burncd", but when I was playing with "cdrecord"
(worked with ATAPI on Linux; SCSI-only on FreeBSD) you could save any
kind of data to the CD, not just ISO files. Probably, "burncd" is the
same, so you don't have to make an ISO file for the CD.

My ISO burning script has this which you might want to use to "verify"
your backup, unless you want to verify all the way back to the original
thousands of disk files.

if dd if=/dev/acd0a count=${blocks} bs=${blocksize} | diff - ${file}; then
    echo "NOTICE: Comparison OK.  The CD seems OK."
else
    echo "ERROR: The CD and file differred."
fi

You have to get the "blocks" off the "file", because "burncd" tends to
put more on the CD than it gets out of the file even when its size is
an even multiple of the CD block size (2k).  (I don't know why. It's
not related to hard disk block size.)