Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:36:34 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and Identd

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
>   I think you perhaps misunderstand: even if you set up
> IMP you STILL would have had to setup those 1500 accounts.

Can you point me to some software? I seriously doubt I can get this past
the staff, but it's worth a look. Can't see anything in ports.

>   I also beg to differ - this is very clearly a mail client
> problem.

This I know, I have bald patches to prove it.

> As you have realized, Sendmail does not rewrite the
> From: address.  This is because the mail client program is
> in charge of correctly putting the user@whateverdomain address
> into the outgoing mail.  This is inherent to the SMTP protocol.
>
>   Your blaming the failure of the user's mail client program
> to properly create the username@whateverdomain address on the
> mail client program itself.  However, this is wrong, the client
> program is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Not all the time it isn't. When the users home (network) directory is
available their email settings are transfered to whatever workstation
they are sat at. This is part of my plan to make the network as
transparent as possible to the users. It works just like *at home*.

However, when the network connection fails windows SILENTLY replaces
these settings with some from the local hard drive. This is not what the
client program is supposed to be doing. AFAIK IE4 does not exhibit this
behavior. The new _identities_ appear to be the cause. To revert the
software on all the clients would take me weeks. I would have to
roll-out the software in one go. (Having USER.DAT files from different
versions doesn't strike me as a good idea.) The bottom line on this is
that I would have to wait until the summer break.

So I can't fix the client. Turning off email for 4 months not an option.
I have to hack the server. Hobsons choice as we say.

>   If you give your users the ability to retrieve e-mail via
> POP3 and transmit it via SMTP then you give them the
> responsibility to make sure that the From address is correct.
> If they are unwilling or unable to do this (due either to
> their misunderstanding how the client program operates, or
> due to their logging in somewhere and allowing some mystical
> "thang" to change the From address) then clearly you have
> to either force them to use a mail client that they DO understand,
> or force them to use a mail client that they have no control
> over, and that you do.  This is what IMP is.  IMP is a mail
> client that runs ON THE MAILSERVER, instead of on a remote
> desktop, so instead of having a remote client that has unreachable
> settings, you have a mail client that is local to the mailserver
> that YOU can control.

I see the problem more like this. When a user logs on they should get
their own email settings, or none at all. Not a seemingly random
selection. This is _my_ problem. User missconfiguration or deliberate
spoofing is a different problem.

> I also beg to differ with your statement:
>
> "...No-one checks account details every time
> they mail...."
>
> Guess what, _I_ do.

You are one in a million (estimate).

> I'm sure that any power users among
> your students do also.

Not a chance. Age range is 11-17 BTW.

> It's simple enough to do when using
> a mail client program like Eudora, which _does_ place the
> >From address IN THE MESSAGE DURING COMPOSITION unlike
> Microsoft Outlook which hides it.  In fact, that's another
> answer to your problem - because Eudora doesen't give a rat's
> ass about what drive your logged into.

I wouldn't dissagree, but they want windows + IE. This is policy, I just
implement.
In any case installing Eudora would mean a full rollout.

--
ian j hart
ICT Technician