Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:08:37 -0700
From:      "Jonathan Graehl" <jonathan@graehl.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   best procedure for installing FreeBSD from CVS sources onto a machine without CDROM/floppy/netboot?

I have a FreeBSD machine with world and kernel sources.  I would like to put a
hard drive into this machine, and build a bootable system based on my /usr/src.
I assume that it would be possible to do installworld and installkernel with an
appropriate destination path, after partitioning the new drive.  What steps
exactly are necessary, including making the drive bootable?  This would also be
the fastest installation method if you have a slow network or CDROM drive.

After this process, it should be possible to put this hard drive into a bare
machine (perhaps I built a kernel especially for it), and have it up and
running.

Another question: is it possible to make a bootable DOS hard drive with the
release files, put that drive in a bare machine, and successfully install from
there (it is with Linux) - I assume that since you can install from a DOS prompt
with a release CD in the drive, it should work choosing "DOS" as your
installation media?

Another question (mostly academic): what is the simplest process to make a CDROM
image from /usr/src/release ?

please cc: jonathan@graehl.org (I'm just doing a CDROM install of 4.3rc2 for
now, but I would like to know other ways of bootstrapping a new FreeBSD box)

--
Jonathan Graehl
  http://jonathan.graehl.org/