Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:06:17 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing another machines printer

-- >
> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:40:29 +0000 (GMT)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Gavin=20Kenny?= <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Accessing another machines printer
>
> Ah Ha!
>
> A small but vital omission!
>
> Thanks - it all suddenly works.
>
> p.s. There are quite a few "hosts.xxx" files. What do
> they all do? I can't find a reference in the Complete
> FreeBsd book.

In most cases you can find documentation on a particular
topic by typing, e.g., "apropos hosts", which will lead you
to:

hosts        read "man hosts"  - maps IP numbers and names
hosts.allow  read "man 5 hosts_access" - controls tcpwrappers
hosts.lpd    read "man hosts.lpd" - controls printer access
hosts.equiv  read "man hosts.equiv" - controls who is allowed to log
             in to your system without a password.  It's very
             dangerous, and usually a bad idea, so don't use it
             until you have read up on it, then you should probably
             use SSH instead.

The FreeBSD Handbook (on line at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook ,
or probably installed on your system ) is another reference you
should take a look at.  The on-line version is constantly updated.

- Bob