Date:      Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:06:09 +0200
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Encryption of login passwords--where and how is it done?

Chris writes:

> Ummm - Somehow, somewhere, I was always taught that the longer the
> password, the better. So, how can a short passward (say 10 bytes) be as
> secure as a 128 byte?

It depends on how the password is encrypted and stored.  A short, random
password may be more secure than a long, less-random
password--especially if the password logic discards all characters
beyond a certain point, or doesn't hash the entire password in a way
that maximizes the extraction of entropy from the password.

For example, on a system that uses only the first eight bytes of a
password, you'd want a pretty random string of eight bytes, like
"uhhxuapo48", but on a system that accepts 128 bytes and pumps them
through a message digest algorithm to maximize the amount of randomness
it extracts from the string, you could use something like "tiles cloven
thru *STARZ/, and zen pop-tarts conceal," and get something that is both
easier to remember _and_ more secure (because it provides more bits of
entropy if properly processed).

--
Anthony