Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 22:03:21 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), mark@grondar.za, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, paul@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, csgr@freebsd.org, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

> > <<On Sat, 24 Jun 1995 17:52:05 +0200, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> said:
> >
> > > 2) (Little discussion here) eay's Secure Sockets Library (SSL) to be
> > >    imported in a similar way to above. (This is how secure telnet, FTP
> > >    etc will work).
> >
> > I very much dislike this idea.  The situation with secure Internet
> > apps is still far too much in flux for any one solution to be adopted
> > in the source tree; there's a good chance that it will be necessary to
> > rip it out later.
>
> Since when have we stopped taking emerging technologies in ?

You guys want to hear something frightening? Eric Young (the `eay' in
SSLeay) has a friend who will make SATAN look stupid. He has, and is
going to release code that will snoop passwords out of new telnet and
FTP sessions. The purpose is to force the use of this (or any
equivalent technology). _They_ would prefer this to be SSLeay.

Well? Are we going to have something we can unleash in retaliation?
Given SSLeay's licence "free for non-commercial _and_ commercial use as
as long as attribution is given", I reckon we would be very foolish not
to.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200