Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 18:41:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      pir@pir.net
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail in 2.2

mark thompson <thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com> writes:
>mark thompson writes:
>: an optional MTA for freebsd (if it can't be the default). Admittedly,
>: you have to do things 'differently' with qmail, but arguably, the
>: 'different' way is the way it should always have been.
>
>And there is also a port of exim, which does things better than
>sendmail that I run locally.  Works great.  The only problem that I
>have is to remember to disbale sendmail after a make world.  That's
>the biggest impediment right now to these things: they all seem to
>want to install a /sur/sbin/sendmail emulator so that all the programs
>on the system will go through their queueing mechanism rather than
>sendmails (and so you can do a chmod 0 sendmail to make it safe too
>:-).

There is one thing about exim, though:

Theres a small bug related to the exim user's group list. If you run
exim as root it doesn't matter, but that isn't as secure as I'd like.

I run exim (and it works very well, thank you - personally I vastly
prefer it to sendmail) on my freebsd machines as exim.exim, but it
doesn't lose root's group list. Small problem with differences between
SYSV (the author develops mostly on Solaris) setgroups() and BSD.

I've produced a patch (as well as bringing the FreeBSD port up to version
1.61 rather than 1.60) and told the author about the problem
Once fixed, exim is handing a reasonable amount of mail (most of the
freebsd mailing lists though mail2news) and a fair bit more with
not noticable load on the machine (A P90/40Mb).

I'm very happy with it and have been intending to write some "heres how to
replace sendmail with exim" documentation but havn't had time to finish
it yet.

>A long time ago people said they were doing work to make qmail *A* MTA

Machines at work use qmail for large scale mail relaying and delivery,
but I don't know much about it apart from the author's apparent bad
attitude ;)

Peter.

--
pir          pir@darkwave.org.uk    pir@pir.net     pir@shore.net