Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:31:41 -0300
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Carlos_Mendes_Lu=EDs?= <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to clean out old files after 'make world'?

Max Laier wrote:
> On Friday 30 July 2004 08:56, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>>On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:23:25PM +0300, Stas D.Myasnikov wrote:
>>>While doing 'make world' I used make.conf with couple on 'NO_*=yes',
>>>e.g. NO_KERBEROS=yes (I don't need Kerberos on my home computer).  But
>>>after rebuilding world and install I saw the old binaries, configs,
>>>etc. of Kerberos and other parts of base that I didn't build.  I had
>>>thought that install script removes all unneeded files, but it don't.
>>>How can I clean out this old binaries, configs, etc?..  Is there any
>>>automatic way to do this?
>>
>>I routinely use find(1) and some secret knowledge about files that
>>do not change their timestamps between installworlds to clean up
>>stale files.  Fortunately there are not too much files that install
>>with -C, less in 5.x than in 4.x.
>>
>>Also, Warner Losh worked on a project that would allow to remove
>>files obsoleted between releases.  I don't know what the current
>>status of this project is, or if it's still alive.  ;)
>
> I am wondering, would it be possible to (automatically) create pkg-plist info
> for the NO_* targets in make.conf? We could put that into the ports-tree
> somewhere and if you'd like to remove something completely you can install
> the dummy port & pkg-plist and use pkg_delete to clean up.

     This resembles linux RPMs for system files.  And the idea is not
bad.  Having system files registered just like ports would make it
easier some operations, including binary upgrade.  I think the ports
system needs some work before this would be feasible, though.

     IIRC, Solaris also registers system files with the same mechanism
used for applications.

> It seems to me that it might be possible to add some kind of Makefile hint
> variables (i.e. define a variable in Makefiles/targets that depend on NO_*)
> that'd help to generate filelists for the NO_* targets. If this is the case
> it should be possible to place pkg descriptions into /var/db/pkg during the
> installworld pass. This would also make it easy to get rid of things after a
> CDROM install.
>
> What do you think?

     I think the problem deserves attention, and any implementation
tests are welcome.