Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:09:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what is devfs?

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:

> While I sharply disagree, with your assertion, I also point out that if
> you make such a all-singing-all-dancing devfsd, then you might as well get
> rid of devfs entirely, and just have devfsd make the devices using normal
> mknod commands.

Since I did not follow the original discussion, maybe this idea has been
discussed and discarded, but what about a "translucent" like deal.
Basically yu would mount the devfs on top of an existing directrory or
filesystem.  The underlying contents would "show through" by some set of
rules.  One rule would be that if a device node existed in the devfs and
the real fs, and the device node in the real fs was for the "fake/null
whatever you want to call it device", the resulting device node would have
the major/minor fron the devfs and the owner/group/permissions from the
real fs underneath.  Any change to the node would affect the real fs
underneath.  I could probably expand on this futher if anybody is
interested.

Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat