Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:26:37 -0500
From:      Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>
To:        rocky <listsub@rambo.simx.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>
Subject:   Re: What are the SMTP rules for sending mail to FreeBSD

> Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:50:54 +0100
> From: rocky <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
> To: htabak@quadtelecom.com
> CC: rocky <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
>
> Harry Tabak wrote:
>
>  > Mail sent from my main server, gatehouse.quadtelecom.com
>  > (66.45.116.138) gets rejected.
>  >   _450_Client_host_rejected:_cannot_find_your_hostname,_[66.45.116.138]
>  >
>  > What are the rules for sending mail!!!!!  I'm not a spammer -- I've
>  > never sent spam!!!   Your rejection is very disconcerting.
>  >
>  > Harry Tabak
>  > <htabak@quadtelecom.com>
>  >
> # nslookup 66.45.116.138
> Server:  ns1.ljusdal.net
> Address:  80.65.204.5
>
> Name:    steelcityhosting.com
> Address:  66.45.116.138
>

> 66.45.116.138 does not resolve to gatehouse.quadtelecom.com, it resolves
> to steelcityhosting.com.
> Fix your reverse and it will most likely accept your emails.
>
> --

Easier said than done.  I've been assigned 66.45.116.136/29 by the ISP.
   I control DNS for quadtelecom.com, but I don't control the reverse
lookup.  I'd like to know the exact algorithm in use, so that I can
negotiate with my ISP.  For example, how are are hosts with multiple IP
adresses handled?

Harry