Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:40:04 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        bob@sfcei.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp transfer rates on my LAN

David Kelly wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 09:33:24AM -0500, bob@sfcei.com wrote:
> > Just my .02 here. IIRC, Windows seems to max out around 1472 for the MTU,
> > otherwise there are lots of collisions on the net. I set the MTU on my FBSD
> > box to 1472 and no collisions. This may affect your throughput, if only
> > marginally.
>
> Ethernet collisions are not bad. Don't sweat 'em until/if they reach
> 150% to 200%. A 1500 octet packat takes a while to send. But a"collision"
> happens in the first 64, takes very little wire time. Many NICs do not
> report these collisions at all. Don't believe I've seen them on 3com
> NICs I have used. Rather those NICs report *late* collisions which are
> bad, very bad, indicating a protocol implementation error, hardware
> failure, or a network which is too long. Yup, the network can get so
> big the speed of light is no longer fast enough to meet the ethernet
> timing specs.
>
> An analysis I no longer can find the URL for showed a 200% collision
> rate on 10 Mbps ethernet resulted in an 8% reduction in network
> capacity. So don't sweat the collisions.
>
> In this thread the user has two machines connected point-to-point with
> a crossed cable. No way for collisions to occur. There might be some
> advantage to turning on full duplex, which I've never seen auto-negotiated
> when connected that way, only when connected to a switch which does
> something to suggest to the machine that full duplex is available.

I haven't measured what the affect is but Window's has a registry key
called TCPWindowSize on W2K that you can set to 16k and improve
throughput on files being sent to the Windows machine. I was told that
their receive windows size is setup to ack/nack records over dialup
and is really to small for real networks. I know where the key is on
W2K but not off of my head for the 9x variety.

Kent

> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)

Kent Stewart